Online Application: How can I apply?
Please use the online application system: OAS, and follow the instructions there.
We unfortunately cannot guarantee processing of applications not in the OAS.
We ask for the following materials:
- transcript of all academic records, including all university and high school diplomas (please provide certified English, German or French translations, if your documents are in another language). Incomplete transcripts will lead to direct rejection. Informal transcripts will be temporarily accepted for application purposes.
- a brief statement explaining your motivation for pursuing a doctorate in computer science at Saarland University
- 2 letters of recommendation
(to be sent to us directly by the referees, as prompted by the OAS; * please note that only official affiliation e-mail addresses will be considered valid; in general, we also expect at least one referee to be from the last institution you studied at
* it is the applicant’s responsibility to inform their referees of their application and make sure that the letters reach us on time, ie. within a few days of the deadline. )
- if available, TOEFL scores, or equivalent record of English proficiency (TSE, Cambridge Certificate scores), * otherwise a short statement with respect to your English qualifications. (Please keep in mind that very good understanding of English will be essential for your success.)
- if available, GRE scores (of course, providing very good GRE scores will greatly enhance chances of acceptance)
The next regular deadline for admission to the winter semester beginning in October 2017 will be at the end of April 2017.You may submit your complete application materials anytime before the next deadline. Evaluation takes place in concerted selection rounds after the deadline. Please allow eight weeks for this process. All applicants will receive a decision via e-mail.
If you need an early decision for planning purposes, you may submit for the deadline a year before your desired starting semester (please specify).
The following regular application deadline will then be at the end of October 2017 for admission to the summer semester beginning in April 2018.
If you are interested in the International Max Planck Research School for Computer Science (IMPRS-CS) research and fellowship program, please submit your application materials there directly. Please note that you will need to have completed a recognized Masters degree before being able to enter their program for doctoral candidates. Admission to the Graduate School will be processed concurrently.
Information for Advisors
The Graduate School also allows for ad hoc admissions to allow for the strengths and flexibility of traditional recruiting pathways. The OAS should not be used for this. Materials should be sent via e-mail directly to the administrative office.
Please read our